January 15, 2017

Unplugged - Sold

Unplugged, 8x24 oil

I had absolutely no idea what I was going to paint today.  I started to play with this iron.  One of the things I find interesting about it is the cloth covered wire, so, it made sense to make that the feature in the painting.

Here is an 'I remember when' story:  This iron was my mom's way back when I was a kid.  When I was about 14 years old I was ironing something with it.  I noticed some of the wires were exposed, where the cord attaches to the iron at it's base.  Well there must have been a loose connection and the wire sparked, the material of the ironing board caught on fire.  I calmly unplugged the iron and stamped out the flame with it.  When I was sure the fire was completely out I went upstairs to tell my parents that I think it's time to get a new iron, and told them what had happened.  I have never ever, in my whole life, seen my father move so fast, as he ran downstairs to the basement, (despite my assurances that I took care of it).  My mom got a new iron, and my dad replaced the wire of this old iron and kept it as a spare.


No comments:

Post a Comment