July 16, 2014

The Two Sisters - Sold


Time flies when you're having fun!  I can't believe it's almost a month since my last blog post.  This past spring was a busy time for me.  One commission I had was to paint the portraits of two sisters.  Since I was going to be painting from photos, I chose ones where the girls were smiling.  It's funny how we're conditioned to smile when put in front of a camera.  I thought it would be nice to paint smiling portraits, although harder, it's a rare opportunity.  When painting from life a person can only hold a smile for so long before the cheeks start to quiver and the face loses it's expression.  I'm pleased with these portraits, I smile every time I see them.

A week ago, I got back from a road trip out to Alberta.  My husband and I drove through the northern states in the USA to Montana, then up to Canada, to visit some friends in Alberta.  We drove back across the prairies to Ontario.  I had prepared and packed my art supplies, ready to paint up a storm.  I knew we would spend a lot of time driving, but wow!  We saw a lot, did a bit of hiking and touristy stuff, and camped on the nicer days, but I only managed to do a few sketches.  I did take thousands of pictures though, and painted a couple of times with my friend in Alberta.  It was a fun trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment